Eating Disorder Treatment for Children and Adolescents
Stereotypically, Eating Disorders are said to primarily affect teenage girls. Research reveals that this stereotype is misleading – in fact, children as young as 6 years old have been hospitalized for treatment of Anorexia and Bulimia, and Eating Disorders also occur in boys. Our EDIT Treatment Team has expertise to work with boys and girls with eating disorders, and we customize a treatment plan for each individual based on their unique needs. Unlike hospitals and treatment centers which offer treatment in a group setting, our Eating Disorder Treatment for Children and Adolescents features on 1-on-1 sessions between the client and their EDIT Certified Counselor. Here are some additional highlights of our EDIT Treatment Approach, for Eating Disorder Treatment for Children and Adolescents:
Question? Ask Dr. Dorie!
- Customized EDIT Treatment Plan for the client’s specific needs — related to their age (we work with clients ages 10-17), gender (we recognize the unique challenges which boys with eating disorders can face), and type of eating disorder (Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder)
- Individual Therapy with an EDIT Certified Counselor using techniques targeted to the client’s age and gender, to develop strategies for reduction of the client’s specific eating disorder behaviors, as well as exploration of the cause of the client’s eating disorder
- Family Therapy is also an essential part of our recommended treatment, where the client can meet with their Mother, Father, and siblings or other influential family members. Eating disorders are family issues, and effective treatment can facilitate healing for the entire family
- Nutrition Counseling can also be incorporated, to guide the client to challenge their eating disorder myths and make peace with food through Intuitive Eating Training and other techniques
- Art Therapy is an optional addition to the client’s treatment plan, which can allow a creative and deeper means of expression.
- Other treatment options are available — please ask for more details!